The County Clerk has one of the most diverse jobs of all county elected officials. In fact, constitutional and statutory laws have given this one elective county officer five distinct titles: Clerk of the District Court, Auditor, Recorder, Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners, and Chief Elections Officer of the County (County Resource Manual, Idaho Association of Counties). The County Clerk also oversees the County Assistance and Veteran Services office. In Madison County, there are over 14 deputy clerks who work in the various departments under the Clerk as well as in the Board of County Commissioners Office. In the role of Auditor, the Clerk's office is responsible to prepare the annual county budget for the Board of County Commissioners.

Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses - What You Need To Bring

Marriage Licenses Are Accepted Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Both Applicants Must Be Present When Applying

You Will Need the Following

  •  Current Drivers License/Photo I.D.
  •  Social Security Number
  •  Fee: $28.00

Check, Cash or Credit Card (Additional Fee for Card Transaction)


Applicants who have not been assigned a social security number will need the following:
  1. Written verification from the social security administration that the applicant has not been assigned a social security number
  2. Birth certificate or passport
  3. Proof that the applicant is lawfully present in the United States



Following the Ceremony

  • The bottom portion of the marriage license must be returned to our office within 30 days
  • The bride will then need to pick up a certified copy of the marriage license from our office to change her name - certified copy fee is $2.00
The certified copy will be used to change her last name on her Social Security card, Drivers License, and other important accounts/documents

Print Email

More Articles ...